Known as the Hull Rust Mahoning Mine, this open pit mine located in Hibbing, MN, was actually formed by more than 40 separate properties.
Today, views of the mine have inspired folks to coin the phrase, “Grand Canyon of the North” to describe the sight. It is a landscape that has been more than 120 years in the making.
DIRECTIONS FROM HWY 169: Turn west onto Howard Street and follow it to Third Avenue. Go right on Third Avenue and take it all the way past the Greyhound Bus Museum onto a gravel road. Look for a sign that will direct you to the right.
The Hull Rust Mine, one of many that sprung up in the area, began mining operations in 1896. The village of Hibbing grew up near this mine pit- too near, in fact. In 1918, all buildings in the northern section of town were mounted on steel wheels and moved two miles to the south to make room for the mine’s expansion. The move took two years and cost $16 million to complete. 185 houses and 20 businesses were relocated, and some of the larger buildings had to be cut in half during the process.
In 1901, the Oliver Iron Mining Division of U.S. Steel Corporation became the major operator of the Hull Rust Mine View. Today, Hibbing Taconite mines the area north, east and west of the Hull Rust Pit using shovels with a 41 cubic-yard capacity.
The area’s very first mining lease was awarded to Frank Hibbing in 1891. Mining operations commenced a year later.
Half of the material mined consists of surface and waste rock, which is found above the taconite ore body. In order to get to the ore, we must drill and blast.
More than 25,000 visitors visited the Hull Rust Mine View in 2019!